A painful condition of the spine resulting from the degeneration of the intervertebral disks.
- ‘Since then he has, he says, suffered from spondylosis, a spinal condition.’
- ‘Cervical spondylosis is a common condition that results from degeneration of the bones (cervical vertebrae) and cartilage of the neck.’
- ‘Miss Healy is clearly suffering from cervical spondylosis which has indeed deteriorated over the last twenty months according to my examination.’
- ‘This degenerative process involving the cervical spine also is known as cervical spondylosis.’
- ‘Cervical spondylosis is a very common condition that usually occurs in the second half of life.’
Early 20th century: from Greek spondulos vertebra + -osis.