One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Inflammation of the joints of the backbone.See also ankylosing spondylitis
- ‘He loved his job and stayed for 17 years, but spondylitis forced him into early retirement.’
- ‘Physically, they have been put under chronic stress, causing spondylitis, back pain, insomnia, and other psychosomatic illnesses.’
- ‘She had crippling spondylitis and could barely move.’
- ‘It may help in reducing the intensity of pain in those suffering from arthritis, spondylitis and muscular spasms of the body.’
- ‘He said: ‘Doctors have said I've got arthritis and think I've got spondylitis.’’
Mid 19th century: from Latin spondylus ‘vertebra’ (from Greek spondulos) + -itis.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.