A soil of an order rich in aluminum oxide and organic matter, typically characterized by low fertility, and including most podzols.
- ‘Alfisols are intermediate in maturity between mollisols or spodosols and ultisols.’
- ‘The Eastern Gulf Coast Flatwoods land-resource area, which composes much of the Apalachicola River basin, is dominated by spodosols.’
- ‘The main weathering product in the spodosols of the study area is a mixed-layer dioctahedral mica/smectite.’
- ‘The soil is a spodosol formed on fine sand.’
- ‘As usual, I learned some new concepts with regard spodosols.’
1960s: from Greek spodos ashes, embers + -sol + Latin solum soil.