Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A pea dried and split in half for cooking.
- ‘The meatless concoctions were rounded out by lentil salad and yellow split peas cooked with turmeric, ginger and onions.’
- ‘It is a tart mixture made up of toasted ground split peas, coriander, cumin, black peppercorns, and fenugreek powder.’
- ‘Beans, such as soy, adzuki, kidney and pinto, and legumes like red lentils and yellow split peas, are also effective in balancing estrogen.’
- ‘In the past during the winter season, the main food items in stores were cabbage, carrots, beets, potatoes, buckwheat, millet and split peas, with a little more diversity in the southern parts of the country.’
- ‘I made about two weeks worth of baby food (carrots, split peas, squash) and have them freezing in ice cube trays right now.’
- ‘Legumes such as lentils, split peas and beans are high in vitamin B, folic acid and iron.’
- ‘They're tasty and filling, great big beasts stuffed with curried yellow split peas and potatoes, as well as your choice of filling, of course.’
- ‘Dahl is a blend of boiled split peas, onions, garlic, curry powder, and cumin.’
- ‘Smoked salmon and leeks add flavor to a yellow split pea bisque as well as eye appeal as a garnish.’
- ‘Dals, or lentils and split peas prepared in spicy sauces, are common.’
- ‘Add the split peas to the boiling sugar mixture.’
- ‘Look at our staples: rice, wheat flour, potatoes, split peas, lentils and other legumes, as well as meats.’
- ‘Fill each with about one pound of popcorn kernels, dried split peas, or sand.’
- ‘The word itself comes from the Hindi ‘khichree’, which is a tasty conglomerate of rice and split peas.’
- ‘I'll have the split pea soup, some bread, and a bag of those potato chips, the ones with the hot chili flavor.’
- ‘Respondents rated the same five legumes (peanuts, kidney beans, split peas, chickpeas and lentils) that they most preferred as also most preferred by clients.’
- ‘If you have a ham bone, just cover this with water, add your garlic, split peas, ears, and onion, and cook the same way as with stock, though it will probably need some skimming.’
- ‘Place the smoked gammon knuckle, yellow split peas, chopped carrots, celery, onion and bay leaves in your largest pot, cover with the water and bring to the boil, skimming off any froth as it rises to the surface.’
- ‘Though the stew we chose - made with potatoes, split peas, tomatoes and dried lime - was rich in flavour, it was loaded onto a rock-solid patty of fried rice.’
- ‘Peas are a given, obviously, but what about split peas?’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.