One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A decision based on a majority verdict rather than on a unanimous one, especially on a court panel or among referees judging the winner of a boxing match.
- ‘In the rematch, Spinks won a controversial split decision over Holmes to retain the title.’
- ‘The gamble paid off - Leonard had just enough skill to stay out of the ageing Hagler's way for most of the night and was rewarded with a split decision, which boxing fans still question to this day.’
- ‘Battaglia brought an impressive 21-3 slate into the ring with him and had mixed in world class before, when losing a split decision to German based Turk, Oktay Urkal.’
- ‘People can't get to their cars fast enough, but quite a few stayed and were treated to a very spirited six-round junior featherweight go that Kahren Hartyunyan won by a split decision over Marinho Gonzalez.’
- ‘Joel has not fought since his controversial second bout with Diego Corrales, which ended in a split decision.’
- ‘Working behind an effective jab and a consistent left hook to the body, Leija weathered both an early and a late storm from his 21-year-old opponent, eking out a split decision victory.’
- ‘Although Ali went the distance, the injury took its toll and Norton won on a split decision.’
- ‘I just watched Kelvin Davis win a split decision over David Azille on ESPN2.’
- ‘Holmes would meet Spinks again seven months later losing a split decision, this time in a fight that most media and fans felt that he won.’
- ‘In his previous fight six months prior, he lost a split decision to the seventh ranked Norton.’
- ‘Morales had two torrid fights with Marco Antonio Barrera, winning a split decision in 2000, and losing a controversial decision two years later.’
- ‘When the decision is announced, Leonard is awarded a split decision.’
- ‘Again the cagy and crafty Spinks survives and comes on with a flurry in the last round and is awarded a split decision by the judges to retain the title.’
- ‘It was a close fight, with most fans thinking Meehan had done enough to win the decision, but the judges, on a close split decision, thought otherwise.’
- ‘In front of more than 10,000 fans in his hometown, Pender ground out a split decision, as he finished better than the older man.’
- ‘The venue was the 1984 Sunshine State Games where Tarver lost a split decision to Jones.’
- ‘This split decision by the usually unanimous committee gave ammunition to Bork's opponents.’
- ‘Just about the time you figured the gritty Colombian would exit, he came on in the late rounds to leave Judah with a split decision and his biggest consolation being his $400,000 purse.’
- ‘Eliminate the point deductions and this becomes a close split decision that could have gone either way.’
- ‘Buffaloes' welterweight boxer Maxwell Sosoka beat Kalewa's Josam Banda on unanimous points decision, while flyweight MacDonald Mutale won a split decision over Clifford Mukinga in a flyweight contest.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.