One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Denoting a fence or enclosure made from pieces of wood split lengthwise from a log.
- ‘Just a split-rail fence embedded in a cement berm divided us from the llamas.’
- ‘He tacked it to the split-rail fencing around the tee.’
- ‘Sunset's test garden is designed around a zigzag split-rail fence that runs east to west.’
- ‘Imagine the arching canes of a climbing rose along a split-rail fence; canes arching in this fashion produce many more flowers than canes growing straight up.’
- ‘They've taken more turns through the judicial system than a split-rail fence.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.