One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small organization, typically a political party, that has broken away from a larger one.
clique, coterie, caucus, cabal, bloc, camp, group, grouping, side, sector, section, wing, arm, branch, division, contingent, set, ring, lobbyView synonyms
- ‘Fortunately, the two of them have to split up to investigate rumours that a political splinter group is manufacturing a clone army.’
- ‘But the mass unemployment of the 1980s, the election of Mrs Thatcher and the poll tax sent him leftwards, into the Young Socialists and then the left-wing splinter group, the Militants.’
- ‘A splinter group, the Freedom Party, have a councillor in South Staffordshire.’
- ‘A car bomb explosion 15 miles from Drumcree, which damaged an RUC station and a number of buildings, was attributed to the anti-Agreement splinter group, the Real IRA.’
- ‘The D66 came into existence as a liberal splinter group from the VVD in 1966.’
- ‘The cat, Thomas, belonged to gun-wielding Padraic, who formed his own splinter group of the INLA because ‘he was too mad to be let into the IRA’.’
- ‘Two years ago, at the age of 43, Mamata Banerjee, right, split from the Congress party to form a splinter group, the Trinamool Congress.’
- ‘After the Liberal Party left the coalition in April 2000, Prime Minister Mori welcomed a Liberal Party splinter group, the New Conservative Party, into the ruling coalition.’
- ‘Abbas - real name Mohammed Abbas - drew international attention when the liner was seized off Egypt by members of his PLO splinter group.’
- ‘Among the Sadrists is the Da'wah Iraq Organization, a splinter group that broke off from the al-Da'wah Party and which reveres the two maryred Sadrs, a representative of which will attend.’
- ‘I do not think that the BBC would provide a soap box to a fringe splinter group of the National Front or any other fascist party at all.’
- ‘TWO men were involved in a protection racket to raise funds for the dissident republican splinter group, the Continuity IRA, a court heard yesterday.’
- ‘The weapons were to be used by the Continuity IRA, a republican splinter group opposed to the peace process.’
- ‘There are suspicions about how Republican Sinn Fein, a splinter group, was able to summon such huge numbers.’
- ‘His hero, ‘mad Padraic ‘, is a dangerously loose cannon who has already formed his own splinter group within the INLA.’’
- ‘The hospital occupation on January 24 was an act of desperation by an armed group known as the God's Army, a small splinter group from the Karen National Union.’
- ‘Of course what's going to happen now is a splinter group of the splinter group will emerge calling itself the Realest IRA.’
- ‘The Real IRA had already been formed by a splinter group which opposed Sinn Fein's move towards participation in government.’
- ‘While one assault was perpetrated in the West Bank by a small splinter group, the violence had subsided and it appeared as if serious negotiations would resume.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.