Any of two pairs of muscles attached to the vertebrae in the neck and upper back that draw back the head.
- ‘Atlantomastoideus may also have a connection with splenius capitis, a union more difficult to explain embryologically.’
- ‘The patient underwent magnetic resonance imaging with contrast, which showed the mass to be well circumscribed and located between the right splenius and semispinalis cervicis muscles.’
- ‘Rhomboideus-occipitalis passes between trapezius and splenius to reach the occipital bone.’
- ‘The splenius represents a superficial prolongation of the lateral column of muscle to the head.’
- ‘Attached to the mastoid process are the mm. sternocleidomastoideus, splenius capitis, and longissimus capitis.’
Mid 18th century: modern Latin, from Greek splēnion bandage.