Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to the spleen.‘the splenic artery’
- ‘Ruth was referred to a vascular surgeon to assess her splenic artery aneurysm.’
- ‘The hilum of the spleen contains the splenic vein, but the artery is out of the plane of section.’
- ‘The sound sometimes occurs in splenic infarction, in neoplastic disease that involves the surface of the liver, and in abscess formation in either organ.’
- ‘Many mechanisms of atraumatic splenic rupture have been postulated.’
- ‘In the cases described in this article, the patients sought medical attention owing to symptoms caused by atraumatic splenic rupture.’
- ‘Flow cytometric analysis was performed on both splenic tissue and splenic hilar lymph nodes.’
- ‘It can arise from the gastroepiploic artery, the splenic artery proper, the splenic branches of the splenic artery, or any combination thereof.’
- ‘When the spleen is absent, the splenic artery terminates in the pancreas.’
- ‘The splenic artery was encased by tumor, although there was no intraluminal invasion, and the artery showed severe calcific atherosclerosis.’
- ‘Larger splenic metastatic lesions were more often symptomatic.’
- ‘The radiologic impression was that the lesions represented splenic abscesses, and the patient subsequently underwent a splenectomy.’
- ‘The symptomatic splenic lesions, as compared with asymptomatic lesions, were bigger and were found more often in women and younger patients.’
- ‘The mass appeared to be well circumscribed with no invasion of the splenic vessels or the spleen.’
- ‘Less common but serious complications of colonoscopy include splenic trauma, vasovagal reactions and endocarditis.’
- ‘The ligatures on his splenic artery and vein had slipped.’
- ‘A 41-year-old white man was referred for evaluation of a splenic artery aneurysm and an acquired splenorenal venous shunt.’
- ‘Pathologic evaluation of the spleen was positive for splenic marginal zone B-cell lymphoma.’
- ‘The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends meningococcal vaccine for children with splenic dysfunction.’
- ‘Abdominal CT showed a subcapsular splenic hematoma and a large, irregular, cystic lesion at the splenic hilum.’
- ‘The surgeon examines the splenic bed for accessory spleens with the laparoscope.’
Early 17th century: from French splénique, or via Latin from Greek splēnikos, from splēn (see spleen).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.