One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A steroid derivative that is an aldosterone antagonist, which promotes sodium excretion and is used in the treatment of certain types of edema and hypertension.
Chemical formula: C₂₄H₃₂O₄S
- ‘Pharmacologic agents used have included hydrochlorothiazide, spironolactone, furosemide, propranolol, or hydralazine.’
- ‘For example, ACE inhibitors, beta-blockers, ARBs, spironolactone and digoxin are probably not necessary in all patients.’
- ‘We restricted our analyses to loop diuretics, angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors, blockers, spironolactone, and digoxin.’
- ‘About two years before this admission he had developed ascites, and treatment with salt restriction, spironolactone, and frusemide was started.’
- ‘Recent research has shown that treatment with spironolactone improves mortality and hospital readmission rates.’
1960s: from spiro- (sense 2) + lactone, with the insertion of -one.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.