One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- archaic term for hydrochloric acid
- ‘Because hydrogen chloride was first prepared from salt, hydrochloric acid was originally referred to as spirits of salt.’
- ‘Need the right expert in spirits of salt?’
- ‘For maximum effectiveness, remove as much water from the blocked area as possible before adding spirits of salt.’
- ‘Spirits of wine seems to have come into the category of spirits of salt and spirits of turpentine etc., and was only used for preserving, cleaning or mixing in as a chemical as far as I can make out.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.