One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for spiritualism (sense 1)
- ‘Voodoo, Witchcraft, Magic, Fortune-telling, and inquiring of the dead are all forms of spiritism.’
- ‘This is because epilepsy is all the time associated with superstitions and spiritism.’
- ‘Harry's occult skills - witchcraft, sorcery, casting spells, spiritism, interpreting omens and ‘calling up the dead’ fit into a category God tells us not even to discuss.’
- ‘That was certainly part of the whole problem around spiritism in the 19th century, in that it not only stole the medical market, it stole the spiritual market as well, and there was a lot of boundary riding going on.’
- ‘Its initial members sought to distinguish psychic phenomena from spiritism, and to investigate mediums and their activities.’
- ‘Most famous musicians are deep in the occult and it is difficult to find a worldly popular musician who has not dabbled in spiritism to acquire fame and wealth.’
- ‘Witchcraft, including Afro-Brazilian practices and Kardecist spiritism, threatened the claims of physicians and the state to authority over Brazilians' bodies and actions.’
- ‘Chapter 14 also brings a clear and frightening warning against dabbling in spiritism.’
- ‘It is not without reason that the Christian bible warns against real witchcraft and spiritism, for example Deuteronomy 18: 9.’
- ‘A final category of occult activity is known as spiritism, which is defined as an attempt to contact or communicate with a spirit entity or deceased person (called necromancy).’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.