One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A shrub of the rose family, with clusters of small white or pink flowers. Found throughout the northern hemisphere, it is widely cultivated as a garden ornamental.
Genus Spiraea, family Rosaceae
- ‘Another favorite shrub, a spirea called ‘Bridal Wreath’ or ‘Shoe Button’ plant, has a completely different appeal, providing varied styles of attractiveness throughout most of the year.’
- ‘Sure enough, early the next summer, the spiraea's fluffy white flowers bloomed in concert with the daylily's clear yellow trumpets.’
- ‘Most of the leaves of our fall-planted spireas have dropped.’
- ‘Old shrubs, such as spiraea, forsythia, lilac, and honeysuckle, often become overgrown and full of crowded stems and dead wood.’
- ‘This is cheap and easy to do with specimens such as berberis, buddleia, cornus, kerria, philadelphus, spirea and willow.’
Modern Latin, from Greek speiraia, from speira ‘a coil’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.