A marine or freshwater mollusk with a long conical spiral shell.
- ‘In the sand you can find cone shells, spire shells and flatfish.’
- ‘An area of mudflat similar to that occupied by a dinghy could hold 40,000 tiny Laver spire shells, 60,000 Corophium shrimps, 50,000 Baltic Tellin shellfish or up to 500 Ragworms.’
- ‘The millions of small black specks that littered the sand were likely to have been tiny laver spire shells.’
- ‘He would approach an area of sand on the bottom, wave his hand vigorously to remove the top layers and find these beautiful spire shells.’
- ‘One square metre of mud might contain thousands of tiny spire shells.’