[treated as singular] A field of electronics in which electron spin is manipulated to yield a desired outcome.
- ‘A processor based on the principles of spintronics could control the spin of electrons and create two possible states: up or down.’
- ‘A third key area of research will focus on spintronics, or electron spin.’
- ‘Such properties taken together hint at device applications in spintronics; an emerging field that exploits the intrinsic spin of electrons as well as their charge in electronics devices.’
- ‘They might also help scientists learn how to use the electron's ‘spin’, as well as its charge, to carry information in a new field known as spintronics.’
- ‘Researchers in the field of spintronics are developing devices that use ‘spin polarized ‘electric currents - currents dominated by either spin up or spin down electrons.’’