Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having a circular cross section and tapering toward each end.
- ‘The parotid gland aspirates and cell block preparations revealed ductal structures entrapped in sheets of spindle-shaped cells.’
- ‘Histologically, the lesion was made up of a fibrillar connective tissue stroma with oval and spindle-shaped mononuclear cells and small capillaries.’
- ‘It is composed of 3 components: fibrous septa, mature fat, and small, primitive stellate and spindle-shaped cells.’
- ‘Occasional spindle-shaped cells were also present.’
- ‘This tumor should be distinguished from collision tumors and carcinomas with foci of spindle-shaped epithelial cells.’
- ‘It is characterized by slit-like neovascular processes and the presence of proliferating endothelial cells, fibroblasts, infiltrating leukocytes, and a population of spindle-shaped tumor cells.’
- ‘The spindle-shaped cells surrounded and entrapped islands of unremarkable renal parenchyma composed of glomeruli and tubules.’
- ‘Lung biopsies revealed expansion of the interstitium by spindle-shaped cells containing material consistent with glycogen and positive for vimentin.’
- ‘Microscopically, the tumor consisted of polygonal-epithelioid cells admixed with more elongated, spindle-shaped cells.’
- ‘Poorly differentiated tumors show pleomorphic and hyperchromatic spindle-shaped cells with abundant mitotic activity.’
- ‘This consisted of proliferating vascular channels lined by atypical endothelial cells, which in turn were surrounded by spindle-shaped cells.’
- ‘Thick fibrous septa separated individual nodules and were composed of benign-appearing, spindle-shaped cells and collagen.’
- ‘The organism destroys turf foliage by invading the leaf mesophyll cells, filling them with hundreds of small spindle-shaped cells.’
- ‘The solid areas consisted of spindle-shaped myoepithelial cells.’
- ‘Its features show spindle-shaped cells overlapping one another in a storiform pattern, resembling fibrosarcomas and leiomyosarcomas.’
- ‘Scattered spindle-shaped atypical cells and lymphocytes were seen.’
- ‘The cells appeared pear-shaped or spindle-shaped and were different from round plasmatocytes, even with cytoplasmic filaments, or from flattened macrophages.’
- ‘Fine-needle aspiration and core biopsy were performed and showed a neoplasm composed of pleomorphic, spindle-shaped cells.’
- ‘In areas, a more solid growth pattern was seen, with sheets of oval to spindle-shaped cells replacing the lung parenchyma.’
- ‘The centrally located mononuclear cells, with a myxoid background surrounded by spindle-shaped cells, formed an individual small cluster.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.