One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The cylindrical bundle of nerve fibers and associated tissue which is enclosed in the spine and connects nearly all parts of the body to the brain, with which it forms the central nervous system.
- ‘Neurons carry messages from the brain to the spinal cord and the rest of the body.’
- ‘If the upper part of the spinal cord or the brain stem is involved, the patient may develop a bulbar palsy.’
- ‘It can result in spina bifida, where the bones of the spine do not completely enclose the spinal cord.’
- ‘That was hailed as a giant step toward cultivating stem cells that might one day repair or replace diseased organs, severed spinal cords, or brain cells destroyed by diseases such as Alzheimer's.’
- ‘The nerves from the lower part of the body join the spinal cord in the lower back.’
- ‘The brains, skulls, spinal cords and lower intestines of cattle older than 30 months are the most likely to transmit the misfolded proteins called prions that cause mad cow disease.’
- ‘The virus then enters the nerve endings and travels to the spinal cord and brain.’
- ‘Such changes may narrow the space occupied by the spinal cord and its nerve roots.’
- ‘As we know, the nerves of the spinal cord control the body's muscles.’
- ‘The spinal cord threads through the centre of each vertebra, carrying nerves from the brain to the rest of the body.’
- ‘We are restricting specified risk materials, i.e. brains, spinal cords, eyeballs, etc., from animals over 30 months of age from entering the food chain.’
- ‘The brain and the spinal cord constitute the central nervous system.’
- ‘They provide excellent images of the spinal canal and spinal cord and are not associated with this complication.’
- ‘The nerve cells bridged the damage and restored the functionality of the severed nerve fibers in the spinal cord.’
- ‘This is medicine that goes in around your spinal cord to block the nerve impulses of pain.’
- ‘The scientists then injected those neurons into the lumbar spinal cords of the paralyzed rats.’
- ‘Nerves come out of the brain and spinal cord and take messages to and from muscles, the skin, body organs, and tissues.’
- ‘The potential of stem cells to repair injured spinal cords or brains damaged by Parkinson's Disease is an exciting one.’
- ‘The recent exclusion of most cow brains, eyes, spinal cords, and intestines from the human food supply may make beef safer, but where are those tissues going?’
- ‘From this region, nerve fibres run down in bundles through the substance of the brain into the brain stem and spinal cord.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.