One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An American plant whose flowers bear long hairy stamens.
- ‘In the few places where sunlight had good purchase, patches of spiderwort crowned with their blue flowers carpeted the ground.’
- ‘Many evergreen ornamental foliage plants and flowering plants, including ivy, aloe, ceriman and spiderwort, have special effects to decompose formaldehyde.’
- ‘Spring-blooming wildflowers are the broad-leaved spiderwort, downy yellow violet, and hairy phlox.’
- ‘When summer-flowering perennials such as bellflowers, geraniums, lychnis, Shasta daisies, and spiderworts finish blooming and start to look tattered, cut back their stems to the rosette of new foliage at the base of the plants.’
- ‘Tropical spiderwort, inconsequential for seven decades, has recently spread in alarming proportions in fields in Georgia, Florida and North Carolina.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.