One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A North American shrub with aromatic leaves, bark, and fruit. The leaves were formerly used for a tea and the fruit as an allspice substitute.
- ‘These included such hardy species as red chokeberry, buttonbush, spicebush and red twig dogwood.’
- ‘Smaller trees and shrubs include red maple, Carolina allspice, and the fragrant spicebush.’
- ‘Beneath those plants are spicebush and the occasional possum haw, a deciduous holly.’
- ‘Common midstory and understory species included red maple, American beech, greenbrier, and spicebush.’
- ‘Some species have been small and obscure, like the 28-foot-tall champion spicebush Michael Davie showed me in the foothills of the Smoky Mountains.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.