Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An instrument that produces a line recording the strength and rate of a person's pulse.
- ‘The pulse tracings by the sphygmograph are equally significant.’
- ‘Dudgeon's sphygmograph was used for the pulse tracings.’
- ‘Included in the collection are a small number of sphygmographs, the first device to take a reading and transcribe it onto a chart.’
- ‘The sphygmograph was a first step in standardizing the recording and evaluation of pulses using technology.’
- ‘Using polygraphs, sphygmographs, dromographs and other myographs, he succeeded in analysing diagramatically the walk of man and of horse, the flight of birds and insects.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.