Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The branch of trigonometry concerned with the measurement of the angles and sides of spherical triangles.
- ‘These cover topics such as spherical geometry and spherical trigonometry.’
- ‘He therefore added a preface of his own on applications of logarithms to both plane trigonometry and to spherical trigonometry.’
- ‘He wrote on astronomy, spherical trigonometry, sundials and mathematical instruments.’
- ‘While he was working there, he published a number of textbooks on spherical trigonometry, geography and astronomy.’
- ‘It consists of 5 books on plane and spherical trigonometry.’
- ‘In particular Caroline studied spherical trigonometry which would be important for reducing astronomical observations.’
- ‘We should now look at the rather remarkable work which Guo did on spherical trigonometry and solving equations.’
- ‘He gave the first extant exposition of the whole system of plane and spherical trigonometry.’
- ‘Its sophisticated treatment of spherical trigonometry allowed cartographers to construct terrestrial globes and map projections that took into account the curvature of the earth's surface.’
- ‘Book 3 deals with spherical trigonometry and includes Menelaus' theorem.’
- ‘In mathematics Werner worked on spherical trigonometry and conic sections.’
- ‘The mathematical part of the book covers arithmetic, algebra, plane trigonometry and spherical trigonometry.’
- ‘This contained work on planar and spherical trigonometry originally done much earlier in about 1464.’
- ‘Her distinguished teaching career, during which time she published two excellent texts, one on plane geometry and the other on spherical trigonometry, came to a premature end in 1950.’
- ‘He made important advances in spherical trigonometry and developed the system of astrological house division that bears his name.’
- ‘Hall apparently is ignorant of spherical trigonometry where the sum of the interior angles of every triangle exceeds 180 degrees.’
- ‘His work on spherical trigonometry led him to this system.’
- ‘Nunes worked in geometry and spherical trigonometry publishing Treatise on the Sphere.’
- ‘The calculation of the direction of Mecca, as a function of terrestrial latitude and longitude, was one of the hardest of all problems of spherical trigonometry for which Islam required a solution.’
- ‘He also gave his name to a theorem in spherical trigonometry, and his criticisms of Ptolemy's Almagest are well known.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.