One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A colorless compound with a similar distribution and effect to spermine.
A polyamine; chemical formula: H₂N(CH₂)₃NH(CH₂)₄NH₂
- ‘The present study indicates that DNA resolubilization at high concentrations of spermine and spermidine is explained by formation of small particles of condensed DNA that cannot be precipitated by centrifugation.’
- ‘Maybe even higher efficiencies would have been obtained using spermine instead of spermidine.’
- ‘This may be related to the role of arginine as a biochemical precursor in the synthesis of putrescine, spermidine, and spermine, which are believed to be essential to sperm motility.’
- ‘These specificities lead to preferential bindings through the DNA minor groove for putrescine and spermidine, whereas spermine binds by the major groove.’
- ‘The effect was dose-dependent in the case of spermidine, but not putrescine and spermine.’
1920s: from sperm + -ide + -ine.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.