Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A plant of a large division that comprises those that bear seeds, including the gymnosperms and angiosperms.
- ‘The spermatophytes, which means ‘seed plants’, are some of the most important organisms on Earth.’
- ‘In the spermatophytes, the situation is reversed, and the gametophyte is the smaller and dependent generation.’
- ‘For comparison, monophyly of angiosperms and spermatophytes is supported by 532 and 631 positions, respectively.’
- ‘Only cycads, among living spermatophytes, also share such primitive attributes.’
- ‘The gene duplication event that gave rise to class I and class II knox gene superfamilies occurred before the divergence between bryophytes and spermatophytes.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.