A protein capsule containing a mass of spermatozoa, transferred during mating in various insects, arthropods, cephalopod mollusks, etc.
- ‘However, collaborative females had difficulties mounting males, taking spermatophores and/or ovipositing.’
- ‘Dissections confirmed that these females had received a spermatophore at mating and had developed normal ovaries.’
- ‘Shortly after she stops feeding on the gland, the female reaches back, removes the spermatophore, and eats it, thus preventing the transfer of any remaining sperm.’
- ‘First, several studies have demonstrated that larger males deliver larger spermatophores that reduce post-mating receptivity and female propensity to remate.’
- ‘A male produces spermatophores that it transfers to the female's genital pore by means of a specialized arm or tentacle.’