One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A measure of the number of spermatozoa per ejaculation or per measured amount of semen, used as an indication of a man's fertility.
- ‘The majority of these men have a low sperm count or spermatozoa of poor quality.’
- ‘If you have to have chemotherapy this may reduce your sperm count and cause fertility problems.’
- ‘If ejaculation has occurred more recently than 2 days, the sperm count may be low.’
- ‘Carter, aggrieved by his low sperm count, remarks, ‘I shoot blanks.’’
- ‘In male fetuses - and infants especially - the phthalates have been shown to cause testicular atrophy and a reduced sperm count, among other serious health problems.’
- ‘Other infertility factors including a low sperm count may also affect pregnancy rates following surgery.’
- ‘Technology allowed them ‘to give the world human evidence of their endearment’ despite his low sperm count.’
- ‘If you have a low sperm count, caffeine may increase your fertility.’
- ‘Men with higher levels of three commonly used farming pesticides - alachlor, atrazine, and diazinon - in their bodies were much more likely to have a low sperm count than men who showed low levels of the pesticides.’
- ‘This is particularly successful with men who have a low sperm count.’
- ‘Briefs may not have the ‘cool’ appeal about them and may cause a low sperm count but they are by far the practical choice.’
- ‘Fertility was predicted by a sperm count greater than 48 million per mL, motility greater than 63 percent, and greater than 12 percent normal forms.’
- ‘After the operation the man must wait for around twelve weeks before the sperm count falls to sterile levels.’
- ‘The treatment will also be available where the male partner has a diagnosed problem such as a low sperm count.’
- ‘In men, chemotherapy can cause a lowered sperm count or even sterility (an inability to father children).’
- ‘Most (if not all) studies conclude that marijuana use does lower sperm count and fertility.’
- ‘They press your testicles against your body, elevating their temperature and reducing your sperm count.’
- ‘Do hot baths cause a low sperm count or is that just an old wives' tale?’
- ‘While there are medicines to increase the sperm count, for women, treatment involves medication as well as surgical procedures.’
sperm count/ˈspərm ˌkount/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.