One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Speak the letters that form a word in sequence.
- ‘After we talked about each of the words, we spelled them out loud.’
- ‘I was communicating by spelling things out on a letter board.’
- ‘Sarah practically spelled the words out to him and he showed no signs of knowing what the hell she was talking about.’
- ‘I spelled the words out for my dad, but he didn't know what they meant either.’
- ‘She spelt the word out in her head, but sometimes it turned into farther.’
- ‘At this rate, I would be surprised if she started spelling the words out for us.’
- 1.1 Explain something in detail.‘I'll spell out the problem again’
explain, make clear, make plain, elucidate, clarifyView synonyms
- ‘The ads urged viewers to visit a website set up especially for the campaign, where the message was spelt out even further.’
- ‘He said his plans will be spelled out in more detail in the strategy he will present to the EU later this week.’
- ‘The research questions are spelled out in a very specific way.’
- ‘The details of the agreement will be spelled out in a contract.’
- ‘It is important that certain facts are spelt out to the public.’
- ‘Everyone knew rumours were going around and the company had promised to be honest with us, but the true situation wasn't spelt out in time.’
- ‘This is the first time many of these steps have been spelled out publicly.’
- ‘Who needs conspiracy theories when things are spelt out as clearly as this?’
- ‘But laser eye surgery has caused controversy because of claims that the risks are not spelt out to consumers.’
- ‘One area where costs are spelled out in detail is that of executive salary packages.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.