Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A criminal trial held after minimal delay, as considered to be a citizen's constitutional right.
- ‘I was repeatedly coerced into waiving my right to a speedy trial because my attorney could not prepare for trial without being able to review the evidence against me.’
- ‘At that hearing the judge effectively stood over the application to trial and ordered a speedy trial.’
- ‘A common example is the accused who expressly waives his right to a speedy trial.’
- ‘He directed a speedy trial, and the speedy trial began before me on Wednesday the 6th June 2001.’
- ‘It seems to me that for these reasons the classic balance of convenience test favours the granting of an interim injunction, possibly with directions for a speedy trial.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.