One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A stadium or track used for automobile or motorcycle racing.
- ‘Earlier this year, residents in Kearsley protested over off-road bikers using towpaths as a speedway.’
- 1.1 A highway for fast motor traffic.
- ‘So as you would expect, nobody obeys this law, like nobody goes 65 MPH on our six lane interstate speedways.’
- ‘After a few phone calls in Spanish (I did not understand a word), we finally made it to the right speedway, called a freeway in LA, with great help from our small map.’
- 1.2British A form of motorcycle racing on an oval dirt track, typically in a stadium.
- ‘Inside Out also follows the Workington Comets, a second division speedway team that has one of the highest followings in speedway despite not even being top of their league.’
- ‘When I used to race for Southampton in speedway my number was always seven.’
- ‘I shall miss taking my son to speedway at Odsal, something I myself did from the age of 11.’
- ‘Did you know that Burnley and Whalley were once hotbeds of speedway?’
- ‘For us, speedway may be the sport of hard nuts, but for the ice-racers of Sweden, Finland and Russia it is the sport of chickens.’
- ‘York-born speedster Andy Smith has again qualified for the ultimate competition in speedway - and has again justified his Houdini tag.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.