One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The maximum speed at which a vehicle may legally travel on a particular stretch of road.
- ‘There was no way they were traveling even remotely close to the speed limit.’
- ‘We made it home a few minutes later than usual, since I was driving a few miles under the speed limit.’
- ‘The significance of the speed limit is that it would tell the driver that this is an area in which he or she is at a particular level of risk.’
- ‘There has been considerable discussion in the national news over speed cameras and the enforcement of the speed limit.’
- ‘It's a bit like being sold a Ferrari when everyone knows the speed limit is 40 mph.’
- ‘Motorists caught exceeding the speed limit will receive a fixed charge notice.’
- ‘He hopped into his car and drove as fast as he could, under the speed limit of course, to get to their store.’
- ‘Besides this, the police are also conducting regular checks to see if the motorists exceed the speed limit.’
- ‘The two motorcycles drove away from the building, going well over the speed limit.’
- ‘Giving her a mischievous look I increased the speed until we were going way over the speed limit.’
- ‘Ms. Jones testified that she was traveling just below the speed limit of 80 kilometres per hour.’
- ‘He was twenty miles over the speed limit, but desperate times called for desperate measures.’
- ‘If you go to overtake another vehicle the chances are you will break the speed limit.’
- ‘On long journeys, a constant eye needs to be kept on the speedometer as it is too easy to exceed the speed limit.’
- ‘He drove just short of the speed limit, his eyes focusing on the task ahead.’
- ‘She knew she had been going three times the speed limit, and she had run several lights.’
- ‘Councillors suggested these could include lowering the speed limit to 20 mph.’
- ‘There was a lot of local outrage when the speed limit on suburban roads in Perth was dropped to 50 kph.’
- ‘Drivers are still speeding through the town well beyond the recommended speed limit.’
- ‘He slammed on the accelerator and went way past the speed limit.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.