One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The maximum speed at which a vehicle may legally travel on a particular stretch of road.
- ‘On long journeys, a constant eye needs to be kept on the speedometer as it is too easy to exceed the speed limit.’
- ‘He drove just short of the speed limit, his eyes focusing on the task ahead.’
- ‘If you go to overtake another vehicle the chances are you will break the speed limit.’
- ‘There was a lot of local outrage when the speed limit on suburban roads in Perth was dropped to 50 kph.’
- ‘She knew she had been going three times the speed limit, and she had run several lights.’
- ‘Giving her a mischievous look I increased the speed until we were going way over the speed limit.’
- ‘Councillors suggested these could include lowering the speed limit to 20 mph.’
- ‘The two motorcycles drove away from the building, going well over the speed limit.’
- ‘Drivers are still speeding through the town well beyond the recommended speed limit.’
- ‘There was no way they were traveling even remotely close to the speed limit.’
- ‘He slammed on the accelerator and went way past the speed limit.’
- ‘The significance of the speed limit is that it would tell the driver that this is an area in which he or she is at a particular level of risk.’
- ‘Besides this, the police are also conducting regular checks to see if the motorists exceed the speed limit.’
- ‘There has been considerable discussion in the national news over speed cameras and the enforcement of the speed limit.’
- ‘He was twenty miles over the speed limit, but desperate times called for desperate measures.’
- ‘Ms. Jones testified that she was traveling just below the speed limit of 80 kilometres per hour.’
- ‘It's a bit like being sold a Ferrari when everyone knows the speed limit is 40 mph.’
- ‘Motorists caught exceeding the speed limit will receive a fixed charge notice.’
- ‘We made it home a few minutes later than usual, since I was driving a few miles under the speed limit.’
- ‘He hopped into his car and drove as fast as he could, under the speed limit of course, to get to their store.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.