One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An organized social activity in which people seeking romantic relationships have a series of short conversations with potential partners in order to determine whether there is mutual interest.
- ‘A study of speed dating showed that if we have to choose between 10 potential dates, we do so on the basis of our expressed values.’
- ‘Bex is intelligent and quick-witted but sometimes a little lost in the modern world of speed dating and go-getting career women.’
- ‘You may have heard of speed dating catching on south of the border.’
- ‘He hopes to hold events designed to appeal to over-25s such as singles nights, speed dating, salsa evenings, comedy nights and music.’
- ‘Although each date lasts a mere three minutes, what makes speed dating different is that the participants have the same objective - to meet a potential companion.’
- ‘Lossen told me that she thinks the best benefit to speed dating is gaining conversation starting skills.’
- ‘Tickets are $60, which includes a light lunch, speed dating, a two-course dinner and dancing in the evening.’
- ‘She says speed dating is based on the concept that people are either attracted to each other straight away or not, in other words, gut instinct.’
- ‘The idea behind speed dating is that each man is paired up with a woman for four minutes before being moved on to the next one.’
- ‘Aren't they doing speed dating at colleges these days?’
- ‘While it may be called speed dating this does not mean you need to fire questions rapidly across the table.’
- ‘Brenda had also organised some speed dating where participants got to chat to as many people as possible over a short period of time.’
- ‘With speed dating, personalities could still clash, but that physical element is there from the start.’
- ‘The exception is hot niche markets like speed dating.’
- ‘Passionate Parisians have come up with a savoury and sensual answer to the impersonal world of internet and speed dating.’
- ‘On one end there is pure arranged marriage and on the other is speed dating.’
- ‘With speed dating, you get to meet a bunch of people, for a short period of time and see if there is any chemistry.’
- ‘Normally they would to rely on their family to introduce them to someone, but in the case of speed dating they are taking the situation into their own hands.’
- ‘Meetings will last only 20 minutes: as with speed dating, the object is merely to see whether there is any chemistry.’
- ‘All fine, but to spike your odds of finding love, try going the direct route via online personals, speed dating, or outdoor adventure classes for singles.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.