One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A group of people sharing a common language or dialect.
- ‘The concept of a discourse community borrows from that of a speech community.’
- ‘In fact, any honest observer who has worked on even the most extensively documented speech communities will recognize the sort of thing that they are writing about.’
- ‘These variants point to a performer working out names according to phonemic norms in his or her speech community.’
- ‘In this approach, the linguistic behavior of a speech community is based on frequency-counts of standard and non-standard variables across stylistic and social stratification.’
- ‘A speech community is not necessarily coextensive with a language community.’
- ‘He also importantly adds that to participate in a speech community is not quite the same as being a member of it.’
- ‘Whatever the outcome, linguists' best protection against such problems is to be solidly based in the speech communities in question, which is a good idea in any event.’
- ‘These are of course not representative of the speech community as a whole.’
- ‘If a reanalysis takes hold, it must usually be because it spontaneously happens over and over, not because one infant's idea spreads to the speech community as a whole.’
- ‘On this base, rap discourse explores various resources provided by the linguistic repertoire of the speech community.’
- ‘It's not a folk etymology, because this is the usage of one person rather than an entire speech community.’
- ‘Today, nearly all English speakers drop g's sometimes, but in a given speech community, the proportion varies systematically depending on formality, social class, sex, and other variables as well.’
- ‘Research on language acquisition tells us that all normal children acquire the language of their speech community effortlessly and flawlessly.’
- ‘As with other speech acts, apologies can serve as illuminating sources of information on the sociocultural values of a speech community, including possible differences between female and male values.’
- ‘Chapter five offers explanations that aim at resolving the unusual finding of gender, class and education patterns in the Cairene speech community.’
- ‘These are not numbers of speakers of the minority languages, however, as the Catalan, Gallego, and Basque provinces all hold diverse populations and speech communities.’
- ‘Copying can be exact: members of a speech community can share identical phonological representations.’
- ‘Every once in a while, such mistakes do get picked up by enough members of some speech community to reach the status of a genuine variant.’
- ‘Egypt is part of the Arabic speech community of about 250 million people, spread from Morocco to Oman.’
- ‘We can all be categorised into a speech community by way of language, professional idiolect, local or acquired dialect, accent or habitual usage.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.