One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who has houses constructed without securing buyers in advance.
- ‘More than a few such projects are carried out by speculative builders with - dare I say it - a minimal grasp of the subtleties of postwar design.’
- ‘Charles Drake was a speculative builder and it is probable that he sold the house to Mr Carter soon after it was built.’
- ‘It does not expect much demand for this product from developers or speculative builders.’
- ‘Some towns were well planned by civic-minded local councils, with parks, libraries, concert halls, and baths; others were left to the mercy of the speculative builder.’
- ‘In the long term, very few people benefit from house-price inflation and we all suffer because the infra-structure of roads, doctors, schools, recreational space, sewers etc cannot cope with the activities of speculative builders.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.