One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who has houses constructed without securing buyers in advance.
- ‘More than a few such projects are carried out by speculative builders with - dare I say it - a minimal grasp of the subtleties of postwar design.’
- ‘In the long term, very few people benefit from house-price inflation and we all suffer because the infra-structure of roads, doctors, schools, recreational space, sewers etc cannot cope with the activities of speculative builders.’
- ‘Charles Drake was a speculative builder and it is probable that he sold the house to Mr Carter soon after it was built.’
- ‘It does not expect much demand for this product from developers or speculative builders.’
- ‘Some towns were well planned by civic-minded local councils, with parks, libraries, concert halls, and baths; others were left to the mercy of the speculative builder.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.