Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An apparatus for measuring the intensity of light in a part of the spectrum, especially as transmitted or emitted by particular substances.
- ‘A detector ideal for comparison with spectrophotometers should exhibit intensity readings dependent on the cosine of the incident angle.’
- ‘Prior to the recent introduction of portable reflectance spectrophotometers, there were few other options for measuring color differences.’
- ‘These subcommittees will be scrutinizing various color management technologies, such as spectrophotometers and monitors, and exploring different color output profiling standards.’
- ‘The absorbance of the product dye at 540 nm was measured using a flow-through spectrophotometer.’
- ‘Meanwhile, hardware needs include monitors, scanners, printers, spectrophotometers and digital cameras.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.