One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An apparatus used for recording and measuring spectra, especially as a method of analysis.
- ‘It boasts ‘imaging infrared and ultraviolet spectrometers, a multi-color camera, a long-range telescopic camera, two particle spectrometers, a space-dust detector and a radio science experiment’.’
- ‘A spectrometer will measure the temperature of the atmosphere at various heights and pick out surface hot spots such as active volcanoes.’
- ‘We are collecting the water samples and analysing it with the atomic spectrometer.’
- ‘Using a spectrometer, the transmittance spectrum is measured in a number of small regions in a stained tissue slide.’
- ‘Both spectrometers were interfaced to computers for data analysis.’
- ‘Research quickened in the 1980s as better measuring techniques emerged, notably gas chromatograph-mass spectrometers.’
- ‘The returning light would be detected by an imaging spectrometer to create a spectral image of the apple on a computer screen.’
- ‘The specimens were subjected to element analysis by an energy-dispersive spectrometer.’
- ‘It is likely that both the absorption spectrum and the emission spectrum are changed at high intensities with respect to the low-intensity spectra of DsRed recorded by conventional spectrometers.’
- ‘The detector range of the array spectrometer is 200 to 875 nm, from ultraviolet into the near infrared.’
- ‘Experimentally, we compared the quantitative distribution of each pigment based on our proposed method with one measured using a spectrometer.’
- ‘One of the early uses of this was the development of the spectrometer for identification of elements.’
- ‘The spectrometer provides the measure of the gold carat.’
- ‘He read the labels on the atomic spectrometer's controls and displays before taking a look into the sample chamber.’
- ‘Delta E is a scientific measure of color change calculated by using a color spectrometer which determines the amount of light refracted back to the instrument.’
- ‘The energy reflected back can be analyzed by a spectrometer that researchers then interpret.’
- ‘An X-ray spectrometer on board the rover performed 15 separate chemical analyses of the Martian soil, and identified large amounts of silicate minerals, suggesting that Mars had a similar geological history to the Earth.’
- ‘The instruments on the orbiter include several cameras and spectrometers that work at different wavelengths: infrared, ultraviolet, visible and microwave.’
- ‘Working as miniature geologists, these robots will have miniature thermal emission spectrometers and an eye-height panoramic camera among their array of scientific instruments.’
- ‘The next Europa mission, planned for launch sometime after 2009, is expected to carry high-resolution spectrometers to map the surface and determine the mineralogical and organic composition of the surface ice.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.