A bacterial antibiotic used as an alternative to penicillin.
- ‘For penicillin-allergic patients, an alternative is spectinomycin.’
- ‘If the condition does not clear up after treatment by traditional antibiotics, your doctor may prescribe stronger variations such as quinolene, ceftriaxone, cefotaxime or spectinomycin.’
- ‘In Streptomyces, myo-inositol is used in the synthesis of antibiotics, such as spectinomycin.’
- ‘Other antibiotics, when required for strain construction, were used in the following concentrations: 100 g/ml spectinomycin, 50 g/ml kanamycin, 12.5 g/ml chloramphenicol, or 10 g/ml tetracycline.’
- ‘Cell growth was equal to that observed for cells grown in the absence of spectinomycin.’
1960s: from the specific epithet spectabilis (see above), literally visible, remarkable + -mycin.