One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small South American caiman with a bony ridge between the eyes which gives the appearance of spectacles.
- ‘On the few patches of dry ground, tropical rattlesnakes lie low, and in shallow pools, spectacled caiman doze just beneath the surface.’
- ‘As these species became scarce, hunters turned their attention to the black caiman and the broad-snouted caiman, then to the spectacled caiman.’
- ‘The spectacled caiman, which originates from South and Central America, has a boney ridge around its eyes which makes it look as if it is wearing glasses.’
- ‘Even a fearsome spectacled caiman is unable to escape an anaconda's fatal embrace.’
- ‘But the nests we found along the stream banks were those of a smaller species, the spectacled caiman.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.