One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Covered or marked with small spots or patches of color.‘the eggs are large and brown and speckly’
flecked, specked, freckled, freckly, spotted, spotty, dotted, stippled, sprinkled, mottled, dappled, blotchy, brindledView synonyms
- ‘A day later, the moulds were emptied, and out came a hundred brand new shiny speckly blue and green giant marbles.’
- ‘He pronounces the batter good because it produces speckly pancakes.’
- ‘They scuttled for days and days till they came to a great forest, exclusively full of trees and bushes and stripy, speckly, patchy shadows.’
- ‘The clouds hung unevenly over the climbing mountains, so that far snow-bestrewn headlands looked like the speckly backs of monsters stalking up into the sky.’
- ‘They're not dissimilar to hen eggs, but about 20% bigger and more speckly.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.