One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The ratio of the density of a substance to the density of a standard, usually water for a liquid or solid, and air for a gas.
- ‘Urinalysis is performed to assess specific gravity and urinary glucose level.’
- ‘Invest in a hydrometer, which measures the specific gravity of liquids, available at winemaking supply shops.’
- ‘He was another scientist who worked on the problem of specific gravities.’
- ‘The common glycols are colorless liquids with specific gravities greater than that of water.’
- ‘The lower specific gravity of this new material also reduces tyre weight and rolling inertia, thus further improving fuel efficiency.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.