Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The ratio of the density of a substance to the density of a standard, usually water for a liquid or solid, and air for a gas.
- ‘Urinalysis is performed to assess specific gravity and urinary glucose level.’
- ‘The common glycols are colorless liquids with specific gravities greater than that of water.’
- ‘Invest in a hydrometer, which measures the specific gravity of liquids, available at winemaking supply shops.’
- ‘The lower specific gravity of this new material also reduces tyre weight and rolling inertia, thus further improving fuel efficiency.’
- ‘He was another scientist who worked on the problem of specific gravities.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.