One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The natural mechanisms that prevent a virus or disease from spreading from one species to another.
- ‘H5N1 first jumped the species barrier in Hong Kong in 1997, killing six of 18 people infected.’
- ‘The notion of an animal virus ' jumping ' the species barrier has been previously discussed in creationist circles.’
- ‘Even with Mad Cow Disease there is clearly a high species barrier that makes transmission to humans very difficult.’
- ‘If it did jump the species barrier to humans and couldn't be controlled, avian flu could bring the first pandemic since 1918.’
- ‘Most of the new diseases are believed to have jumped the " species barrier ".’
- ‘Such alterations make it possible for pig diseases to cross the species barrier, thereby creating epidemics of illnesses.’
- ‘The species barrier is an arbitrary product of evolution, not a moral criterion.’
- ‘Breeders may then attempt wider interspecies hybridizations or may use GM techniques to transfer genes across species barriers.’
- ‘Whole herds were slaughtered and scientists were beginning to doubt that BSE could not cross the species barrier.’
- ‘We do not want the risk of a new infection jumping the species barrier.’
- ‘Most scientists determined the practice would be safe; that BSE would not cross the species barrier.’
- ‘I try to apply the golden rule beyond the species barrier.’
- ‘Scientists believe the highly contagious respiratory virus crossed the species barrier from horses to dogs.’
- ‘That means there may be the risk of a new infection jumping the species barrier.’
- ‘All animals harbor viruses, and there is no better way to jump the species barrier than to implant animal organs into humans.’
- ‘Yet another species barrier has been broken.’
- ‘However the species barrier prevents the creation of species that are too dissimilar.’
- ‘Chow said he was more worried about avian flu and new viruses that were crossing species barriers.’
- ‘Indeed, GM DNA is often designed to cross species barriers.’
- ‘If avian flu manages to jump the species barrier completely then it's going to spread extremely rapidly.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.