The formation of new and distinct species in the course of evolution.
- ‘The creation of a new species is known as speciation.’
- ‘If final speciation was not done on site, participants were asked to identify their reference laboratory.’
- ‘We are the product of a process of speciation, competition, and ecological change.’
- ‘There are hundreds of cases of evolutionary change observed in progress and dozens of observed speciations.’
- ‘Many of us think of evolution as speciation, but populations of insects evolved resistance without budding into new species.’