One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for specialty
forte, strong point, strength, métier, long suit, strong suit, talent, skill, bent, gift, claim to fame, department, pièce de résistanceView synonyms
- ‘Keeping people at arm's length was my speciality.’
- ‘Cleaning and tidying was not her speciality.’
- ‘‘Ice wine’ is a speciality of these parts.’
- ‘The third speciality of the artist were landscapes prints.’
- ‘He has won medals in both the 100m and 200m, but his speciality is the 200m.’
- ‘A speciality of Ma Li is the so-called woodblock reduction technique that he and other artists developed in Yunnan.’
- ‘New workers were and still are assigned randomly to different specialities.’
- ‘The management of pain is the speciality of Dr Andrew Lawson.’
- ‘One speciality of Nurnberg craftsmen was metalworking.’
- ‘Desultory talk is a speciality of mine’
- ‘Such thinkers rarely wish to venture outside their speciality, and rarely wish to comment on large-scale issues.’
- ‘Its speciality is coffee mugs with the stamp ‘Bone Tibet’.’
Late Middle English (denoting the quality of being special or distinctive): from Old French especialite or late Latin specialitas, from Latin specialis (see special).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.