One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A verdict that requires an answer to a specific detailed question.
- ‘No application was made to the trial judge for a special verdict.’
- 1.1 A verdict that an accused is not guilty by reason of insanity.
- ‘The jury were asked to render a special verdict.’
- ‘I have been asked several times whether I am in favour of a special verdict.’
- ‘Trembling at what it might feel like to hear a man sentenced to death, I steel myself and stare at the special verdict form.’
- ‘The acquittal will take the form of the special verdict of not guilty by reason of insanity resulting in committal to a mental hospital.’
- ‘Somebody decided to take a special verdict.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.