One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The units of a country's armed forces that undertake covert, counterterrorist, and other specialized operations.
armed forces, army, forces, services, militia, soldieryView synonyms
- ‘The world is not black and white, and there are subtle implications in the big decisions that are made beyond the control of the special forces soldier.’
- ‘The missions take place in several different locations in today's world, with the players acting as members of military special forces units.’
- ‘Alfa Group was the special forces unit of Russia.’
- ‘She had spent eight years in the army, wanting to go into special forces, but being restricted because she was a woman.’
- ‘They were joined in January by a contingent of U.S. special forces who are officially here on a counterterrorism training mission.’
- ‘He spent five years in the army's special forces branch before being seconded to AIS for paramilitary operations.’
- ‘At 19, she's the youngest special forces unit in the US military.’
- ‘I am very uncomfortable with reading elsewhere that military members in the special forces operate commonly out of uniform.’
- ‘Welshman David Jones is a former British special forces operative now working in a freelance capacity for a secret organization codenamed IGI.’
- ‘A U.S. official told CNN that in fact an operation has taken place tonight involving U.S. special forces and Army Rangers.’
- ‘This is just the perfect situation to employ special forces soldiers.’
- ‘His special forces operatives were set and ready.’
- ‘We have extraordinary special forces.’
- ‘The Lampreys landed without a hitch, and the Republican Navy special forces emerged from the craft.’
- ‘Already 660 soldiers and 160 special forces are operating there.’
- ‘He advocates smaller, lighter and faster troop deployments with a relatively high proportion of special forces.’
- ‘Officials say that United States special forces have conducted operations inside the country in the past few days.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.