One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The units of a country's armed forces that undertake covert, counterterrorist, and other specialized operations.
armed forces, army, forces, services, militia, soldieryView synonyms
- ‘At 19, she's the youngest special forces unit in the US military.’
- ‘The world is not black and white, and there are subtle implications in the big decisions that are made beyond the control of the special forces soldier.’
- ‘I am very uncomfortable with reading elsewhere that military members in the special forces operate commonly out of uniform.’
- ‘The Lampreys landed without a hitch, and the Republican Navy special forces emerged from the craft.’
- ‘The missions take place in several different locations in today's world, with the players acting as members of military special forces units.’
- ‘They were joined in January by a contingent of U.S. special forces who are officially here on a counterterrorism training mission.’
- ‘Already 660 soldiers and 160 special forces are operating there.’
- ‘He advocates smaller, lighter and faster troop deployments with a relatively high proportion of special forces.’
- ‘She had spent eight years in the army, wanting to go into special forces, but being restricted because she was a woman.’
- ‘Alfa Group was the special forces unit of Russia.’
- ‘A U.S. official told CNN that in fact an operation has taken place tonight involving U.S. special forces and Army Rangers.’
- ‘Officials say that United States special forces have conducted operations inside the country in the past few days.’
- ‘Welshman David Jones is a former British special forces operative now working in a freelance capacity for a secret organization codenamed IGI.’
- ‘His special forces operatives were set and ready.’
- ‘This is just the perfect situation to employ special forces soldiers.’
- ‘He spent five years in the army's special forces branch before being seconded to AIS for paramilitary operations.’
- ‘We have extraordinary special forces.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.