Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A former express mail service of the US Postal Service that involved expedited delivery of mail, often by special courier.
mail, the postal service, the postal systemView synonyms
- ‘Additional charges may apply for bulk orders or special delivery.’
- ‘So Kaulkin came down to the parking lot carrying a mail basket containing 15 special delivery packages.’
- 1.1Any mail service that involves special handling or expedited delivery.
- ‘If you're really leaving it to the last moment, you'll need special delivery, which guarantees next day delivery.’
- 1.2A letter or parcel sent by a special-delivery service.
post, letters, packages, parcels, correspondence, communications, airmailView synonyms
- ‘For professional contractors, the company has commercial credit programs, special delivery services and dedicated staff.’
- ‘There was a special delivery for me yesterday.’
- ‘Targets for parcels and special deliveries were missed after reaching new working practices agreements with the unions.’
- ‘The defendant's real complaint was that, when the trial bundle was sent by special delivery, the envelope was addressed wrongly.’
- ‘Karen, you just received a special delivery.’
- ‘I've just got a special delivery in today.’
- ‘Many products - such as special deliveries - which were currently not regulated would be now price-controlled, he said.’
- ‘Will a shake-up at the Post Office be a special delivery for entrepreneurs?’
- ‘Some 4,000 managers were drafted in to get out special deliveries and to collect mail in the main commercial areas.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.