One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A former express mail service of the US Postal Service that involved expedited delivery of mail, often by special courier.
mail, the postal service, the postal systemView synonyms
- ‘Additional charges may apply for bulk orders or special delivery.’
- ‘So Kaulkin came down to the parking lot carrying a mail basket containing 15 special delivery packages.’
- 1.1 Any mail service that involves special handling or expedited delivery.
- ‘If you're really leaving it to the last moment, you'll need special delivery, which guarantees next day delivery.’
- 1.2 A letter or parcel sent by a special-delivery service.
post, letters, packages, parcels, correspondence, communications, airmailView synonyms
- ‘The defendant's real complaint was that, when the trial bundle was sent by special delivery, the envelope was addressed wrongly.’
- ‘Targets for parcels and special deliveries were missed after reaching new working practices agreements with the unions.’
- ‘Will a shake-up at the Post Office be a special delivery for entrepreneurs?’
- ‘Karen, you just received a special delivery.’
- ‘There was a special delivery for me yesterday.’
- ‘For professional contractors, the company has commercial credit programs, special delivery services and dedicated staff.’
- ‘I've just got a special delivery in today.’
- ‘Some 4,000 managers were drafted in to get out special deliveries and to collect mail in the main commercial areas.’
- ‘Many products - such as special deliveries - which were currently not regulated would be now price-controlled, he said.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.