One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A billfish that resembles the marlin.
Genus Tetrapturus, family Istiophoridae: several species
- ‘The seas seem to have just marlin and spearfish.’
- ‘There's a trophy for the biggest spearfish over 30 pounds.’
- ‘The same day we catch our last marlin we hook and land a spearfish.’
Fish using a spear.‘spearfishing is strictly illegal in the marine parks’‘resort owners do not allow tourists to spearfish’
- ‘I have nothing against selective spearfishing for the odd meal, but most of this lot come under the category of ‘idiots with spearguns‘.’
- ‘He remembers spearfishing with the island kids; she, picking flowers in the forest with her grandmother.’
- ‘Somewhat perversely, spearfishing is still allowed within the area of the marine reserve, so I don't blame the big fish for being cautious.’
- ‘One aspect of diving holidays that has pretty much disappeared is the sport of spearfishing.’
- ‘Trawling, rod-and-line fishing and spearfishing were banned.’
- ‘The centre offers diving, spearfishing, underwater photography, and simply sailing.’
- ‘Malta's clear waters are home to plentiful fish, despite continuing illegal spearfishing.’
- ‘If Moises's pals were going spearfishing for dinner, he went too.’
- ‘The spearfishing craze was at its height, and few devotees paid any attention to the local legislation outlawing the use of spearguns with diving equipment.’
- ‘Cyprus has been intensively fished for many years and scuba spearfishing remains popular.’
- ‘Of all shark attacks worldwide, nearly all occur on surfers and many were directly related to fishing or spearfishing.’
- ‘Morihei spent a good deal of time on the ocean spearfishing.’
- ‘During his years spearfishing on the Banks, Trevor Krull learned to respect these awesome predators.’
- ‘Because spearfishing is forbidden, there are many reef fishes in all sizes, and they are not shy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.