One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An actor with a walk-on part.
walk-on, supernumeraryView synonyms
- ‘He moved to the National Theatre as a spear carrier in Olivier's first company in 1963.’
- ‘Cast me as a spear carrier, and I will happily exercise my free will and step aside to give somebody else their five minutes of fame.’
- ‘I met a man the other night who told me he was going to be a spear carrier in Scottish Opera's forthcoming production of Tosca.’
- 1.1 An unimportant participant in something.
- ‘There's a risk that the party will be transformed into a legion of spear carriers.’
spear carrier/spi(ə)r ˈkerēər/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.