One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Speak in a tactless or foolish way.
- ‘He might have been just talking out of turn, but tonight might be interesting.’
- ‘I don't think I am speaking out of turn by saying that I had words with the manager.’
- ‘There is the fear of speaking out of turn.’
- ‘I was angry and probably spoke out of turn.’
- ‘If the person had been speaking out of turn and was prosecuted for that, the matter would be very different.’
- ‘He spoke out of turn to the ref and was sin-binned.’
- ‘However, we are not talking out of turn when, with respect, we congratulate Margaret Lawson on the 25 letters she had printed.’
- ‘They may talk out of turn.’
- ‘They don't want anyone talking out of turn.’
- ‘Was it because she couldn't stomach being criticised for speaking out of turn on a delicate subject?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.