1An implement with a broad, flat, blunt blade, used for mixing and spreading things, especially in cooking and painting.
- ‘Using the fork or a small spatula, work the egg mixture in the pan, stirring and drawing the mixture from the outside into the middle.’
- ‘British Army Chefs battled for honour using spatulas and whisks rather than rifles and bayonets recently in one of the British Army's most prestigious military catering events.’
- ‘Slide spatula between fillet and skin to remove salmon from grill.’
- ‘After about 2 minutes of stirring, take the mixture off the heat and, using a spatula, spread it evenly onto a non-stick baking pan with raised edges.’
- ‘Pour a first layer of cheese mixture in the terrine and even it out with a spatula.’
- ‘In the kitchen I took out some eggs and the frying pan with the spatula and started to fry some eggs’
- ‘Who would have thought garlic choppers, spatulas and no-stick frying pans could make the world a better place?’
- ‘Using a rubber spatula fold in the egg whites to combine.’
- ‘Aunt Penny couldn't see the difference between a spatula and a spoon.’
- ‘He flips one of the smaller pancakes on the very large frying pan and puts the spatula down.’
- ‘He reached across the barbecue with his spatula and flipped various burgers and sausages until he found a sausage that was marginally less burnt than the others’
- ‘Using a slotted spatula, transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined sheet pan, reserve, and maintain the hot pan.’
- ‘She was in the kitchen, waving a spatula around like a microphone while she wiped the counter.’
- ‘Pour the batter into the pan - it will be somewhat thick, so spread it around with a spatula if needed.’
- ‘Using an offset spatula, spread the batter on a silpat-lined sheet pan to form 12 thin triangles.’
- ‘Using a rubber spatula, fold the egg whites into the milk mixture and then fold in the egg yolk mixture.’
- ‘He dropped the spatula, picked up a spoon and stirred some sauce.’
- ‘Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, pour in the wet ingredients, and stir with a spatula until just combined.’
- ‘Using a spatula, spread a thin layer of hazelnut meringue over the tart.’
- ‘Fold the white sauce gently but thoroughly into the beaten egg whites, using a flexible spatula.’
- 1.1British term for tongue depressor
Early 16th century: from Latin, variant of spathula, diminutive of spatha (see spathe).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.