One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A boxer employed to engage in sparring with another as training.
- ‘Your daughter told me you were looking for a sparring partner well I just happen to be looking as well.’
- ‘The two sparring partners will be taking part in a three round comedy charity boxing bout, being encouraged from their corners by Amanda Holden and Vic Reeves.’
- ‘Nobody else could be his sparring partner except me because I was the only one he trusted wouldn't hit him for real.’
- ‘In 1991, when recession gripped the U.S. economy, he started working on some private investigations with his best friend and karate sparring partner, who was in that line of work.’
- ‘Hakkana and Favian paired up for sparring partners.’
- ‘Roshoko was using Keno as a sparring partner, and Bayrie decided they needed a referee.’
- ‘‘This is my dear friend and sparring partner, Ketra Glang,’ sang Melena as she rested her head on the woman's shoulder.’
- ‘Another bonus in having two cats, they can clean each other, chase each other, and they each have a sparring partner.’
- ‘There was no way he thought of me as anything else besides a sparring partner.’
- ‘Right now, it seems to me that you think of other people as sparring partners, partners in crime, or players in a game that you call ‘being honest.’’
- ‘Taekwondo requires much more focus and control because you throw punches and kick at pads and sparring partners.’
- ‘Now reduced to working as a sparring partner in seedy gyms, he seems to be on the fast track to nowhere.’
- ‘They raised their eyebrows at one another as Master Lansong instructed them to choose sparring partners.’
- ‘Dennis Walker, her coach and trainer since she started, often tells her to use her greatest advantage - speed - instead of standing toe-to-toe with her sparring partners.’
- ‘Tyson's former sparring partner, Joe Egan, will also accompany him to York.’
- ‘Sergio still wasn't as much of a fighter as should would have hoped for in a sparring partner, but he did manage to make things more interesting with his jabs and jokes.’
- ‘I have not had a decent sparring partner for some time.’
- ‘Her sparring partner wasn't all that much either.’
- ‘You can change settings so that your sparring partner just stands there, attacks or defends.’
- ‘They decided to take a quick break, and to switch sparring partners.’
- 1.1 A person with whom one continually argues or contends.
- ‘If you're as cynical about marriage as I am, you're probably already aware how easily matrimonial bliss can deteriorate over time into a hideously spiteful and distrustful union of two diametrically opposed sparring partners.’
- ‘Doherty frequently posts emotionally heated messages on his website about his sparring partner.’
- ‘Their chemistry and timing is always spot-on, and they are completely convincing not only as verbal sparring partners but also as a married couple.’
- ‘Deedes is magnanimous to his old sparring partner, deemed by some accounts to be ‘a successful novelist but a failed newspaper reporter’.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.