One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Moderate; economical.‘physicians advised sparing use of the ointment’
thrifty, economical, frugal, canny, careful, prudent, cautious, abstemious, saving, energy-efficient, energy-saving, fuel-efficient, fuel-saving, scrimping, parsimoniousView synonyms
- ‘He makes sparing and intelligent use of special effects.’
- ‘She has been comparatively sparing in the room, and the nourishment necessary to rear them.’
- ‘It was built sparing little expense out of dedication to his father and God.’
- ‘On the plus side, the sparing use of CGI effects works quite well for this particular film.’
- ‘It was furnished in a sparing and comfortable manner.’
- ‘Eave cast a sparing glance across the room, still not seeing Thomas.’
- ‘You want her in the game, but there can be no sparing Bobby.’
- ‘I think the only unhealthy drink I've ever seen him consume would be alcohol, and even that only in sparing amounts.’
- ‘Saving money without sparing style helped Peggy and Brad Goodwin of Vancouver, Washington, take the top Bathroom Remodelings prize.’
- ‘Kilby was a man of few words, and none more sparing than when he spoke of himself.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.