One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Moderate; economical.‘physicians advised sparing use of the ointment’
thrifty, economical, frugal, canny, careful, prudent, cautious, abstemious, saving, energy-efficient, energy-saving, fuel-efficient, fuel-saving, scrimping, parsimoniousView synonyms
- ‘It was furnished in a sparing and comfortable manner.’
- ‘I think the only unhealthy drink I've ever seen him consume would be alcohol, and even that only in sparing amounts.’
- ‘Saving money without sparing style helped Peggy and Brad Goodwin of Vancouver, Washington, take the top Bathroom Remodelings prize.’
- ‘He makes sparing and intelligent use of special effects.’
- ‘You want her in the game, but there can be no sparing Bobby.’
- ‘Eave cast a sparing glance across the room, still not seeing Thomas.’
- ‘Kilby was a man of few words, and none more sparing than when he spoke of himself.’
- ‘It was built sparing little expense out of dedication to his father and God.’
- ‘She has been comparatively sparing in the room, and the nourishment necessary to rear them.’
- ‘On the plus side, the sparing use of CGI effects works quite well for this particular film.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.